Saturday, December 8, 2007

Journey to the Other Side of the Globe

It was easier than I had imagined. We flew from Billings, MT to Minneapolis, MN to Narita, Japan to Busan, South Korea. I was armed with Xanax for me, tranquilizers for Kitty, and a pillow for Jason. Kitty was the only one not able to indulge in her comfort. I was worried she wouldn't like being dosed without her knowledge. She is truly a traveling feline now. I think she might have meowed a total of twenty times on the entire trip. People commented on every plane that we exited that they were surprised they didn't notice the cat on board. I was so relieved because I had been worried that I would strangle her when she wouldn't shut up.

Also, to any novice travelers out there (like myself) you might be surprised to know that you don't fly over the Pacific ocean to get to Asia. Instead we flew up to Alaska, over Siberia, down to Japan, and then over the Sea of Japan. I assume that it has to do with the curvature of the earth. We were so shocked that we took a few dozen pictures out of the window of the plane. On a side note, Koreans don't acknowledge the name Sea of Japan. They call it the East Sea or the East Sea of Korea here. There's not a lot of love for the Japanese but that's probably typical since Japan occupied Korea for 35 years or so. They celebrate an Independence Day similar to the U.S. holiday. It's on the day that Korea won their Independence from Japan.

Sorry for the history lesson...the moral of the story is that we're here. We're living in Cheongok-Dong in Ulsan, South Korea. Our apartment is on the edge of Ulsan which has a million people in it. When people we've met here refer to our location as the boonies we have to scratch our heads. The boonies in the U.S. look much different than this.

No comments: